Re: Moving forward on improving HTTP's security

On Wed, Nov 13, 2013 at 2:36 PM, Adrien de Croy <adrien@qbik.com> wrote:

> I thought we already did the mandatory TLS argument to death many times.

We did :) And I don't think we're going to convince one another here. I
feel like I understand your position and disagree with it. And I think the
vice versa is true. I stated my preference earlier, but I don't expect to
convince you. As much as it'd be nice to have the spec mandate this, so I
could use it as a weak hammer to beat people on the head with when they
don't want to use TLS, I don't really think we'll achieve rough consensus.
But I'll impose my will insofar as I can affect Chromium policy and push
more HTTPS adoption as much as I can.

> We added MITM in WinGate mostly because Google and FB went to https.
>  Google and FB you may take a bow.

FWIW, I'm happy those companies went HTTPS, and I'm sad that y'all are
offering MITM features in your products. I suppose that if I ask you not to
MITM traffic, you wouldn't listen, would you? :P If you feel that MITM is
bad for the web, why are you implementing this? Is it simply because if you
don't, then someone else will and people will switch from your product?

> Does this improve security of the web overall?  IMO no.  People can now
> snaffle banking passwords with a filter plugin.

Just to be clear, the MITM works because the enterprises are adding new SSL
root certificates to the system cert store, right? I agree that that is
terrible. I wouldn't use that computer :) I hope we increase awareness of
this issue.

> You really want to scale this out?  How will that make it any better?

I believe that making communications secure by default will overall improve
the security of the web as long as most devices don't have these additional
SSL root certificates used by the MITM proxies. You are taking a cynical
view on the outcome when communications become secure by default. I
disagree. I think that it's worthwhile to force entities that want to
examine communications to have to MITM SSL. I think that the negative PR of
a government or ISP or whatever trying to force installations of additional
root certificates on end users' machines would be a strong disincentive to
employ these policies. I agree it might lead more enterprises to MITM their
employees who use corporate devices. It is a sad world indeed if it's the
status quo for everyone to use devices with extra root certs so
intermediaries can MITM SSL connections.

> You're suggesting anyone wanting to run an http2 server now has to
> purchase, and pay for the ongoing maintenance of a cert, and take the cost
> on additional CPU to handle the load?

Yes, I want to use HTTP/2 as a carrot to incentivize server operators to
use HTTPS. There are tradeoffs that prevent folks from adopting HTTPS. I'm
hoping HTTP/2 helps adjust the tradeoffs in HTTPS' favor somewhat, due to
its reduced user perceived latency and improved connection reuse leading to
improved scalability compared to HTTP/1.X over TLS.

> Organisations have to live with the pain in the neck of deploying signing
> certs to clients, dealing with visitor devices etc etc.  This = reduction
> in user experience.

You mean the additional root certs installed on client machines? Good, I'm
glad it's a PITA for y'all, so maybe you'll stop doing it or do it less
often, and maybe corporations will stop asking you to do this for them.
This is terrible and I'm personally not interested in making it easier for
organizations to snoop on their members/employees/students/etc. I'm in
favor of reduced user experience where the user is someone who wants to
MITM SSL traffic.

> So, IMO making TLS mandatory = reduced security, worse user experience,
> and increased costs.
>
> That's progress I guess.

I respectfully disagree with your outcome prediction.