Re: New Version Notification for draft-bishop-http2-extension-frames-00.txt

From: James M Snell <jasnell@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2013 12:06:28 -0800
To: Mike Bishop <Michael.Bishop@microsoft.com>
Cc: HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
It's great to see work being done on the extension model but I'm not
convinced that the approach you suggest in this draft is the best way
forward.

The approach that I would like to see is this:

For Frames:

1. Clearly define the notion that some frames are *always* end-to-end,
while others are *always* hop-by-hop
2. Clearly differentiate these types using the MSB of the frame type.
If the MSB is set, the frame is end-to-end
3. Specify that end-to-end frames are *always* subject to flow control
4. Change the type of the DATA frame to 0x80
5. Dedicate 10 frame types at the top of each range (0xF5-FF and
0x75-7F) as "private use" frame types that cannot be assigned by IANA.
6. Require that end-to-end frames are only sent on open streams
(basically, whenever a DATA frame can be sent)

For Settings:

Dedicate some portion of the possible range of settings as "private
use" that cannot be assigned by IANA

- James