Re: New Version Notification for draft-bishop-http2-extension-frames-00.txt

It's great to see work being done on the extension model but I'm not
convinced that the approach you suggest in this draft is the best way
forward.

The approach that I would like to see is this:

For Frames:

1. Clearly define the notion that some frames are *always* end-to-end,
while others are *always* hop-by-hop
2. Clearly differentiate these types using the MSB of the frame type.
If the MSB is set, the frame is end-to-end
3. Specify that end-to-end frames are *always* subject to flow control
4. Change the type of the DATA frame to 0x80
5. Dedicate 10 frame types at the top of each range (0xF5-FF and
0x75-7F) as "private use" frame types that cannot be assigned by IANA.
6. Require that end-to-end frames are only sent on open streams
(basically, whenever a DATA frame can be sent)

For Settings:

Dedicate some portion of the possible range of settings as "private
use" that cannot be assigned by IANA

- James