Re: Questions about ALPN

From: Martin Thomson <martin.thomson@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2013 10:29:12 -0700
To: Alexey Melnikov <alexey.melnikov@isode.com>
Cc: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>, "Joseph Salowey (jsalowey)" <jsalowey@cisco.com>, Andrei Popov <Andrei.Popov@microsoft.com>, "ietf-http-wg@w3.org" <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
On 28 October 2013 04:32, Alexey Melnikov <alexey.melnikov@isode.com> wrote:
> So I would also like to see use cases for UTF-8 data which is not US-ASCII.

How about a use case that is neither ASCII nor UTF-8?

There was concern raised about the overall size of the option when
there are multiple strings in the set.  Aside from changing from
16-bit lengths to 8-bit lengths (something I'd prefer, but am not
going to jump up and down over), the following was suggested.

>From any set of strings, you can create another string that acts as a
stand-in for all of the set.  That string is the output of a hash of
some canonical form of the input set (maybe sort, encode, hash).