Re: Does idempotence include the response codes?

On 16/10/2013 11:31 a.m., Philippe Mougin wrote:
> Le 15 oct. 2013 à 23:24, Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net> a écrit :
>
>> On 15/10/2013, at 1:17 PM, Gili <cowwoc@bbs.darktech.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Yes. Adding "on the server" and an example would definitely help.
>> Seems like a reasonable editorial clarification to me.
> It wouldn't work as it would include in its scope methods that actually are not idempotent.

Which ones and how?

>   This is because "the intended effect" of a request may go far beyond "the server".

"the server" is the authoritative copy of the resource. Application
level choice to use idempotent methods or non-idempotent methods
determines the systemic effects and behaviour. Not all application
systems are correct. The ones which break due to this have never been
correct and are already broken due to their incorrect assumptions about
HTTP idempotency.

In absence of any evidence to the contrary I also agree with this
proposed change.

Amos