Re: Does idempotence include the response codes?

From: Martin Thomson <martin.thomson@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2013 11:02:47 -0700
To: cowwoc <cowwoc@bbs.darktech.org>
Cc: HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
On 15 October 2013 10:43, cowwoc <cowwoc@bbs.darktech.org> wrote:
> Do idempotent methods have to return the same response code in the face of
> multiple invocations? Or are they allowed to return different response codes
> so long as the state is not modified by subsequent requests?

I frequently see them returning different answers.  It's pretty common
to see DELETE, 200, DELETE, 404.  But I also see DELETE on a
non-existent resource returning 200.  The only guarantee is that two
attempts produce the same end result in terms of resource state.

I can guess what you might be trying to do, but I don't think that
it's going to be as simple as you might expect.