Re: Delta Compression and UTF-8 Header Values

From: Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2013 00:15:30 +0000
To: Nico Williams <nico@cryptonector.com>
cc: Zhong Yu <zhong.j.yu@gmail.com>, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>, "Martin J. Dürst" <duerst@it.aoyama.ac.jp>, James M Snell <jasnell@gmail.com>, "ietf-http-wg@w3.org" <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
--------
In message <CAK3OfOi+cXMLGsMCpD1cRBxzz46wVYYj8nz021fhqhM7fTDMWA@mail.gmail.com>
, Nico Williams writes:

>> But how does the 2 ends agree on which encoding to use? It might be
>> easier if HTTP just dictate UTF-8.
>
>Not might be.  Will be.

Really ?

I have a hard time squaring that with the "HTTP/2 is just a transport
protocol, we don't change the semantics" credo that was waved around
rather forcefully previously ?

And if we are going to change semantics, shouldn't we change the
ones that really matter[1] ?

Poul-Henning

[1] We can probably do much more for transmission efficiency by killing
cookies and adding client provided session-identifieres, than any
kind of encoding or compression will ever be able to...[2]

[2] Not to mention the improved privacy and legal compliance that
would automatically buy everybody...