Re: Delta Compression and UTF-8 Header Values

From: Nico Williams <nico@cryptonector.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2013 18:12:54 -0600
To: Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>
Cc: Zhong Yu <zhong.j.yu@gmail.com>, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>, "Martin J. Dürst" <duerst@it.aoyama.ac.jp>, James M Snell <jasnell@gmail.com>, "ietf-http-wg@w3.org" <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
On Sun, Feb 10, 2013 at 4:52 PM, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk> wrote:
>>But how does the 2 ends agree on which encoding to use? It might be
>>easier if HTTP just dictate UTF-8.
>
> But this is a semantic question, I've been told in no uncertain
> terms that all that was settled in HTTPbis, and that HTTP/2 is
> only about transport, and that reopening semantic questions was
> Not To Be Done.
>
> Did I misunderstand that ?

I don't know.  I wasn't there.  But where HTTP/2.0 carries text in the
headers, that text must either be US-ASCII only, or UTF-8 only -- no
other codesets, encodings, nothing.  Anything else will result in
just-send-8/just-use-8 and associated interop failures OR de facto
agreement to just-send-UTF-8.  The latter would be fine, but better
make it de jure.  If this was decided incorrectly in the past then the
decision needs to be open to review: I guarantee this will come up in
IETF and IESG review.  Better get it right now.

Nico