Re: Framing and control-frame continuations

I know from past experience that one can fill up a 10GE pipe with very
small SPDY frames (1XXmillion 1 byte payloads)  when done correctly on
today's hardware, without using up all cores (though, to be fair it comes
close). This is pretty much a worst-case scenario.
I've found that the amount of cores one uses to output a certain amount of
bandwidth is far more dependent on the the NIC kernel drivers and NIC
hardware than anything else. Formatting things in memory *especially* data
frames is extremely cheap given that it requires no transformation.

I currently can't imagine what a 1T network architecture will look like
when going into a single machine.  I don't know if it'd go through the
kernel, or just DMA somewhere, or how programmable the DMA controllers will
be, etc.
I do know, though, that I could cram ~over 100M SPDY frames over the wire
on a 10GE interface on today's hardware, so I'm not worried about shoving
16M 64k frames over the wire in terms of overhead.
I do also know is that a terrabyte could be sent ~16M 64k frames. Even
assuming we do terribly and only stuff the frames with 16k, we'd only have
a piddly 67M frames per second to deal with. That is already lower than
what we can accomplish today.

-=R