Re: Request Routing Information [was: Do we kill the "Host:" header in HTTP/2 ?]

From: Zhong Yu <zhong.j.yu@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2013 11:25:58 -0600
To: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>
Cc: James M Snell <jasnell@gmail.com>, HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
On Mon, Feb 4, 2013 at 11:16 PM, Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net> wrote:

> * Separating the query string from the path would save the origin server a bit of parsing. I see arguments on both sides; who wants to make them?

The saving would be minuscule in the best case.

The server must validate them anyway, you can't trust a client won't
insert a "?" in the supposed path component.

With a single request uri, one validation process is enough; with
separated path and query, we need 2 validation processes, slightly
different, which can't be good for performance.

Zhong Yu