Re: Request Routing Information [was: Do we kill the "Host:" header in HTTP/2 ?]

* Mark Nottingham wrote:
>* Separating the query string from the path would save the origin server
>a bit of parsing. I see arguments on both sides; who wants to make them?

Whether that is more, or less, work for the origin server depends quite
a bit on the origin server. For instance, the origin server may have to
concatenate the two prior to parsing because it can parse it only as one
single string (as if often the case with simplistic ad-hoc parsers). I
also see some potential for bugs and security vulnerabilities there, say
how to handle a resource identifier with two question marks (a component
might treat anything after the first question mark as query string, some
middle component puts the parts back together, and then a legacy compo-
nent only uses the part after the final question mark as query string).

>* We'll need to do all of this for the response status code as well.
>Maybe not the phrase; we touched on this briefly at the F2F, and I put
>forth the opinion that since it's human-readable, and our message format
>isn't really any more, it doesn't have much utility to actually include
>in the message. Anyone think it's useful enough to justify the bits?

I don't think they are useful on the wire, but standard names are quite
useful in discussions and searches using your favourite search engine,
so definitions for new codes, even when they are "HTTP/2-only", if there
will be such codes at all, should still provide them.