Re: Request Routing Information [was: Do we kill the "Host:" header in HTTP/2 ?]

I think that you have most of it right.

On 05/02/2013, Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net> wrote:
> * Separating the query string from the path would save the origin server a
> bit of parsing. I see arguments on both sides; who wants to make them?

I tend to prefer the approach that says that path and query are just
opaque strings.  Splitting them would add another bucket for
query-stuff to go into, which makes it harder all 'round to do
matching and all the other sorts of processing that doesn't rely on
breaking the URI down into constituent parts.  Besides, the breaking
down thing is done very differently by different software, so it would
be presumptuous to stipulate just one method.

> * We also talked about :version at the F2F, both in requests and responses.
> I don't think it's necessary, as it's effectively hop-by-hop information,
> and the connection negotiation + magic takes care of that. Discuss.

Version and phrase are - at best - byte-wasters.  Of course, they both
have great untapped potential for harm, if that is your goal.