Re: Do we kill the "Host:" header in HTTP/2 ?

--------
In message <510B8F46.20809@treenet.co.nz>, Amos Jeffries writes:
>On 1/02/2013 8:09 p.m., James M Snell wrote:

>> +------------------------------+
>> |S|len(method)|method|len(host)|
>> +-+-------+----+---------+-----+
>> | host  | len(path) |  path  |
>> +------------------------------+

>This makes several assumptions which are false and will cause a lot of
>trouble:

I must admit that I'm not terribly happy about the lack of generality
in James' proposal either.

The performance and complexity difference between James proposal
and simply:

	[length][method][length][absolute_uri]

Is vanishingly small, but the latter would be much more general.

I might even be tempted to suggest:

	[length][method SP absolute_uri]

Because the most frequently used methods would take up less space
that way.

We could even decide to encode the HTTP "GET" method simply as "G",
"POST" as "P" etc. while still leaving room in the protocol for
somebody to implement a custom "FOOBAR" method of their own.