Re: How to stop receiving a pushed resource? (I-D Action: draft-ietf-httpbis-http2-01.txt)

From: Ilya Grigorik <ilya@igvita.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2013 20:20:45 -0800
To: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>
Cc: Roberto Peon <grmocg@gmail.com>, Frédéric Kayser <f.kayser@free.fr>, HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
On Mon, Jan 21, 2013 at 7:35 PM, Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net> wrote:

> Also, it'd be REALLY nice to think about about what this means for
> responsive design; e.g., if I'm a mobile, I don't need the desktop
> stylesheet, and maybe not some of those images too. So, how does that work
> in a push world?

I think these are mostly orthogonal. While its a good exercise to think
about this, I don't think this needs to be an explicit goal for HTTP 2.0.
The HTML5 spec specifically says that the resources should be downloaded,
even if the media-query breakpoint does not match (ex, print stylesheet,
etc). In other words, we need to first resolve these questions in HTML5
specs, before we worry about the transport.. otherwise cart before the
horse...

And, all of that aside, we do have a solution: serve the appropriate HTML
to different clients. (just add a Vary: User-Agent.. oh wait - *ducks* :-))

ig