Re: The use of binary data in any part of HTTP 2.0 is not good

In one of our recent meetings, one of the grey-bearded IETF old-timers (I forget which, sorry) said that a textual-protocol was a nice-to-have, but that it shouldn't be a determining factor in design.

I.e., if you can get everything you need out of a protocol, *and* make it textual, do so, but if it detracts from the value you get from it, don't let that constrain you.

FWIW, I think that's a good rule of thumb. However, this means that the community is going to need *excellent* tooling for analysing, debugging, etc. HTTP traffic; and I don't just mean a Wireshark plugin!

Cheers,

--
Mark Nottingham   http://www.mnot.net/