Re: Multiple header fields with the same field name - unwritten assumption about quoted commas in values?

On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 5:47 PM, Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net> wrote:
> On 16/01/2013, at 10:37 AM, Nico Williams <nico@cryptonector.com> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 5:28 PM, Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net> wrote:
>>> We're talking about HTTP/1.x here, not 2.0. We can't retroactively make implementations non-conformant.
>>
>> Ah, yes.  But we could stop encouraging implementors to merge multiple
>> header instances.  Then we only have to say that it happens and
>> explain the pitfalls.
>
> It's extremely common to do something like:
>
> Cache-Control: max-age=60, must-revalidate
>
> Are you really saying that this should be discouraged?

No.  I'm saying that it's OK for apps to do that but not any other
entities (middleboxes), mostly because middleboxes can't possibly know
about headers that hadn't been registered when they were implemented.

Nico