Re: HTTPS, proxying, and all that...

--------
In message <50F0774A.6010706@cs.tcd.ie>, Stephen Farrell writes:

>> There is nothing "state of the art" about mixing p2p and e2e
>> trust and security, PTT's and banks have been doing it for
>> centuries.
>
>Feel free to post details. I at least don't know what
>you mean.

I'm sure you do, you just don't know that you know it.

If you are working in a big organization, I'm sure you don't
go to the post-office yourself, you have an intern mail-service
that will do so for you, and thanks to the separation of
envelope from message, they can do so, without opening your
letter.

>(I'm also not aware of how 16th century PTT's operated
>to be honest. RFC 1149 perhaps?:-)

Amongst other technologies.

I'm sure the chinese and the romans would beg to differ, but
read for instance:

http://www.scotsman.com/lifestyle/heritage/the-oldest-post-office-in-the-world-1-465812

>> The problem the HTTPbis effort has, is that it's trying to
>> improve on one of the worlds most popular and used protocols[1].
>>
>> Addressing some of its actual user-perceived shortcomings would
>> be a very smart move from a marketing point of view.
>
>Yes, but this isn't a marketing exercise.

Ask the IPv6 people if they still think that was a smart
position to take.

Catering to your users needs is a good way to win adoption.