Re: Design: Rename FRAME_TOO_LARGE to FRAME_SIZE_ERROR

From: Martin Thomson <martin.thomson@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2013 10:22:30 -0700
To: Jeff Pinner <jpinner@twitter.com>
Cc: Roberto Peon <grmocg@gmail.com>, HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
On 19 June 2013 09:32, Jeff Pinner <jpinner@twitter.com> wrote:
> 1 byte per data frame is completely legal at both the framing layer and the
> application layer. I believe the only illustrating examples here are
> something like sending a 7 byte PING frame or a 3 byte WINDOW_UPDATE frame.
> You have received the entire frame, it is just malformed.

So, I have a question:  is there an actionable difference between
FRAME_SIZE_ERROR and PROTOCOL_ERROR.  Noting that neither RST_STREAM,
nor GOAWAY, have a way to indicate which frame was in error, there
isn't much that is actionable in either case.  I believe that the
action in both cases is the same: go and debug your stack.

That leads me to conclude that this is error code proliferation for no
good reason.