Re: p2: Content-Length in HEAD responses

On 21/04/2013, at 3:20 AM, Zhong Yu <zhong.j.yu@gmail.com> wrote:

> Does it actually intend to say
>
>    the server SHOULD send the same header fields in response to a
> HEAD request as it would have sent if the request had been a GET,
> except that the payload header fields can be omitted.

+1  I like that, except that perhaps s/can/MAY/

> However I don't understand the "except" clause - why not require *all*
> header fields to be sent as if they would be for a GET request.

IIRC we allowed that because many implementations don't now, and we don't need to make them non-conformant for interop (since C-L isn't defining the message length in this case).

Cheers,

--
Mark Nottingham   http://www.mnot.net/