Re: Resumable Uploads

From: Yoav Nir <ynir@checkpoint.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2013 19:43:34 +0000
To: Felix Geisendörfer <felix@transloadit.com>
CC: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>, HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>

On Apr 20, 2013, at 11:30 AM, Felix Geisendörfer <felix@transloadit.com<mailto:felix@transloadit.com>> wrote:

On Sat, Apr 20, 2013 at 7:59 AM, Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net<mailto:mnot@mnot.net>> wrote:
Agreed, except a new PATCH format that's range-friendly would be necessary. That's not a huge undertaking, because it could reuse at least some of the existing syntax.

IMO the simplest solution would be an "Offset" header that simply gives the start offset where the data should be applied. The end offset is implicit through the message length.

How does the server know when the whole thing has been uploaded?  Wouldn't we need some kind of "total-length" header, perhaps in the initial PUT?

Or are we assuming that the initial PUT is trying to upload everything, and only failure leads to sending the PATCH?

Yoav