Re: p1: Upgrade ordering (possible HTTP/2 impact)

On Sat, Apr 20, 2013 at 02:07:57PM +1000, Mark Nottingham wrote:
> p1 section 6.7 defines the Upgrade header, but no where does it say anything
> about relative preference.
>
> Should we define (or at least allow) for the ordering to be semantically
> significant? It seems to me that if we end up using this, and there are a few
> different variants of HTTP/2 (e.g., "normal" vs "mobile"), it'd be nice to
> rely on ordering here.

Indeed it could be quite useful! RFC2817 does not suggest anything concerning
multiple values in the Upgrade header field for the request message, it only
suggests that the response describes the protocol stack (eg: TLS/1.0, HTTP/1.1).

So I'm wondering if it would not be a abit awkward to have a different
definition of this header field depending on the direction. Some more thinking
is needed on this I suppose.

Willy