Re: P1: Content-Length SHOULD be sent

From: Willy Tarreau <w@1wt.eu>
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2012 07:48:02 +0100
To: "Adrien W. de Croy" <adrien@qbik.com>
Cc: Martin Thomson <martin.thomson@gmail.com>, Zhong Yu <zhong.j.yu@gmail.com>, Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>, "Roy T. Fielding" <fielding@gbiv.com>, HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
Hi Adrien,

On Wed, Dec 05, 2012 at 12:19:33AM +0000, Adrien W. de Croy wrote:
> >>Is it really useful to distinguish between no body and body with no
> >>content?  I can't imagine a use for such a distinction.
> >>

> >I think the example with the POST that is rejected without a content-length
> >is valid, I have already observed this one, though I don't remember on
> >what server.
> >
> maybe that's a bug in that server?

not necessarily, don't forget that we're both reading this with our
intermediary author hat on, and we're mostly interested in getting
messaging right. But for application servers, some subtilities may
very well make a difference. Especially considering what was said in
2616 about how to detect presence of a message body and the requirement
for POST requests to carry a message body.

Willy