Re: on DNS records

On Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 7:29 AM, Phillip Hallam-Baker <hallam@gmail.com>wrote:

> I think the main argument for using a DNS record (which I am less fussed
> about) is the complexity issue.
>
> Yes we can keep finding per-protocol hacks to describe upgrade mechanisms.
> But they mean that every HTTP/2.0 will always have to rely on having a
> HTTP/1.1 implementation around to bootstrap from. So HTTP/2.0 cannot do
> anything to reduce the complexity of the protocol implementation, it has to
> be additions, nothing taken away.

Well... I've said it before but we're very much going to need a pure http/2
option here that can operate without dns or http/1... basically, just open
a port and start sending http/2 and assume it'll work... Beyond that, the
DNS approach seems to be the most reasonable, non-hacky option on the table
so far.

- James