Re: on DNS records

I think the main argument for using a DNS record (which I am less fussed
about) is the complexity issue.

Yes we can keep finding per-protocol hacks to describe upgrade mechanisms.
But they mean that every HTTP/2.0 will always have to rely on having a
HTTP/1.1 implementation around to bootstrap from. So HTTP/2.0 cannot do
anything to reduce the complexity of the protocol implementation, it has to
be additions, nothing taken away.

Putting the information in the DNS means that we can move towards a
situation where all Internet application protocol servers follow the same
basic pattern on startup or a configuration change:

1) Read the configuration data
2) Communicate the data to a 'service announcement' service
3) Service announcement service configures local network to provide
support, including configuring the DNS, firewalls etc.
4) Periodically tell the service announcement service that the server is
still alive

Put SSL certificates in that configuration mechanism and DANE or something
DANE-like for security policy advertisement becomes practical.

Now the authoritative mechanism by which the service advertises the service
characteristics should be DNS, but that does not mean that the mechanism by
which the client obtains that information has to be the DNS client-resolver
protocol. It has to be a trusted protocol certainly, but it seems rather
silly that in 2012 we still have a situation where my web browser relies on
the DNS server provided by Panera rather than one that I choose and trust.

--
Website: http://hallambaker.com/