Re: Updated Prefer Header Draft

On Mon, Oct 22, 2012 at 5:48 PM, Adrien W. de Croy <adrien@qbik.com> wrote:

> Hi James
>
> as a proxy developer, I'm always interested in how such protocol changes
> will impact my product, and there's always the cost/benefit analysis which
> on one hand looks at what is the likely implementation rate or importance
> of sites that may choose to rely on such an extension.
>
> So do you have any information (e.g. have there been any indications from
> implementors) as to who would be looking to implement such extensions?
>
> My only other comment on the draft would be that there are some implicit
> assumptions that may not always hold (but may be ok for the general cases),
> e.g.
>
> * you can't assume your header will make it to the server, so if the
> server relies on it, or the client relies on the server receiving it, there
> would need to be some clear way to indicate this so the client can know
> whether the server received the directive or not.  E.g. intermediaries that
> strip unknown headers.

This, among other reasons, is why the entirely optional Preference-Applied
response header has been reintroduced. Further, as Mark states, the very
nature that this is a Preference and not a Requirement makes this ok.

> * you can't assume anything about how long it may take for a request to
> reach a server.  E.g. a PUT request going through a proxy that does AV
> scanning will take an unforeseeable period of time to receive, then scan
> the content before making an upstream request.  This could cause problems
> with the proposed "wait" preference.  In fact I struggle to see how "wait"
> would be used in practise, and the skeptical side of me wonders at its
> merit.

In the latest version, wait has been refactored to account for this concern.

- James