Re: Updated Prefer Header Draft

Hi James

as a proxy developer, I'm always interested in how such protocol
changes will impact my product, and there's always the cost/benefit
analysis which on one hand looks at what is the likely implementation
rate or importance of sites that may choose to rely on such an
extension.

So do you have any information (e.g. have there been any indications
from implementors) as to who would be looking to implement such
extensions?

My only other comment on the draft would be that there are some
implicit assumptions that may not always hold (but may be ok for the
general cases), e.g.

* you can't assume your header will make it to the server, so if the
server relies on it, or the client relies on the server receiving it,
there would need to be some clear way to indicate this so the client
can know whether the server received the directive or not.  E.g.
intermediaries that strip unknown headers.

* you can't assume anything about how long it may take for a request to
reach a server.  E.g. a PUT request going through a proxy that does AV
scanning will take an unforeseeable period of time to receive, then
scan the content before making an upstream request.  This could cause
problems with the proposed "wait" preference.  In fact I struggle to
see how "wait" would be used in practise, and the skeptical side of me
wonders at its merit.

Regards

Adrien