Re: Require UAs and intermediary caches to assume Vary: User-Agent

How much of the Web actually passes through client side proxies these days?
Of those, how many have  caches?

There was a good reason for caching proxies in 1993. I don't see much
justification or utility in fiddling with that part of the spec now. The
content that is relevant for caching these days is huge chunks of video,
audio and images, the part that is generated is text.

But in any case, I can't see why a server that cares can't generate the
vary header for the user agent header...

Bigger problem these days is that there are many sites that just break with
the 'wrong' user agent. All those clueless 'mobile' versions of sites that
don't actually link to any content. Just a page congratulating the
programmer on producing a mobile edition of the site instead of the linked
content.

Net is that even if a site specified the vary header on user agent, it is
probably best ignored just as I switched from safari to chrome on my iPhone
because it gives fewer stupid problems like that.

Website: http://hallambaker.com/