Re: Comments on the HTTPbis draft, v20

From: Roy T. Fielding <fielding@gbiv.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2012 13:07:20 -0700
Cc: HTTPbis <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
To: Adrian Custer <avc.httpbis@gmail.com>
On Sep 5, 2012, at 10:13 AM, Adrian Custer wrote:

> This mail contains some initial editorial comments, questions, and recommendations for the httpbis draft (http://tools.ietf.org/wg/httpbis/), version 20.

Please note that p1 and p2 are under extensive reconstruction right now,
much of which involves targeting the requirements.  p1's sections 1-4
are relatively stable, but I suggest you wait on the rest of your review
of p1 and p2 until drafts 21 are out.  Draft 20 of p4-p7 are currently in
WGLC and would be a better target for careful review right now.

I'll have a look at what you mention as I run through p1.  However,
please note that your understanding of SHOULD is incorrect: it is to
be used in cases where the list of conditions for not complying are
*not* known in advance.  When compliance is bound by a specific set of
conditions, then we say "X MUST do this except when ...".

Also, the lack of a requirement that servers send a response is
on purpose.  See discussion of denial-of-service attacks.  Perhaps
what is should say is "MUST send a response or close the connection".

Cheers,

....Roy