frequent DNS queries RE: comments on draft-mbelshe-httpbis-spdy-00

I've heard of that problem.  I am guessing most of those problems are
on IPv4-only hosts, so the underlying DNS code is generating 6 DNS
queries.  When the host supports IPv6, you'll have to drop that to 3
(A and AAAA queries).

Or, do we hope to identify the problem and encourage vendors to fix
it?

In the past, ICE (RFC5245) ran into similar problems which seemed to
be caused by rapidly sending UDP packets from different source
addresses, which forces a NAT to create a new mapping.  Some NATs
apparently can't do that very quickly.

With many (but not all) NATs configured to do local DNS proxying,
the problem may not be too severe.  But I understand cable operators
don't like DNS proxying in CPE, which we may have exchanged for
dropping rapid-fire DNS queries instead.  That would not be good.

We tested some of our Linksys gear a week ago, after a discussion
at IETF, and couldn't repeat the problem.  So, I would sure like
to understand it better and try to see where things break and
what configuration is causing this problem.

Then we can figure out if the best workaround is in the getaddrinfo()
code, in the application, or elsewhere.  But I would rather solve
the problem, especially for something as critical as DNS queries.

DNSSEC, DANE, and IPv6 being hopefully around the corner, we need
to fix problems with DNS queries and keep DNS working fast.

-d