RE: In Defense of Header Compresson

It is not just a question of tooling, it is a matter of processing on devices that either sit as part of the message path (proxies) or have limited ability either as user agent or ultimate destination.

Henrik

-----Original Message-----
From: David Morris [mailto:dwm@xpasc.com]
Sent: Thursday, August 16, 2012 8:19 AM
To: ietf-http-wg@w3.org Group
Subject: RE: In Defense of Header Compresson

On Thu, 16 Aug 2012, Patrick McManus wrote:

> On Wed, 2012-08-15 at 11:36 +0000, Henrik Frystyk Nielsen wrote:
>
> >  it's primarily the *mechanism* I am interested in. In particular, I
> > am interested in its ability for easy inspection
>
> I'm also totally open to token/table mechanisms that give good results!

I have probably spent years of my professional life analyzing data on the wire so I sympathise with the desire to inspect data easily, but I don't accept this as a constraint on the solution, only a tiebreaker. There are enough ways for tools to solve the problem and infact I see a lot of value in having motivation for the creation of more tools to support data inspection.