Re: Re[6]: HTTP2 Expression of Interest

From: Phillip Hallam-Baker <hallam@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2012 08:16:18 -0400
To: Mike Belshe <mike@belshe.com>
Cc: "Adrien W. de Croy" <adrien@qbik.com>, Rajeev Bector <rbector@yahoo-inc.com>, Martin Thomson <martin.thomson@gmail.com>, Martin J. Dürst <duerst@it.aoyama.ac.jp>, Doug Beaver <doug@fb.com>, Willy Tarreau <w@1wt.eu>, "ietf-http-wg@w3.org" <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 1:13 AM, Mike Belshe <mike@belshe.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 9:58 PM, Phillip Hallam-Baker <hallam@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> My lightbulbs have HTTP stacks and run web services. If I want to
>> modify the lighting, I send them a command to dim, brighten, change
>> the color balance or whatever.
>>
>> They do not have an operating system or anything like it. That would
>> require a much bigger chip and a much higher current drain when not in
>> use.
>>
>> The world of HTTP is a lot more than just Web browsers.
>

> There was a time, long ago, when people were flabbergasted by the idea that
> you'd use HTTP to control your lightbulb too.  "I have to put an HTTP stack
> on a lightbulb?  I could just use UDP!"  I suggest we design for the future,
> not the past.

Mandating bloat is not designing for the future. I am talking about
the present. I HAVE a light bulb (actually a board with LEDs mounted)
that has a Web server embedded.

One of the design requirements of a lightbulb is instant-on.

>> Mandating TLS in 2.0 will not provide an ounce of extra security
>> unless you have a way to know who is running 2.0. And if you can do
>> that you do not need the mandate.
>

> It's all negotiated in the handshake.  You'll know who is TLS and who is
> not.

Not without knowledge of the security policy. Without that you are
subject to a downgrade attack.

> It does provide lots of better security.  The internet cafe is the best
> example.  I know you're aware of Firesheep.  We should make it impossible to
> use firesheep in 2020.  Right?

I would much prefer to get rid of password based authentication which
is the driving use case for most use of SSL.