Re: Re[6]: HTTP2 Expression of Interest

On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 9:58 PM, Phillip Hallam-Baker <hallam@gmail.com>wrote:

> My lightbulbs have HTTP stacks and run web services. If I want to
> modify the lighting, I send them a command to dim, brighten, change
> the color balance or whatever.
>
> They do not have an operating system or anything like it. That would
> require a much bigger chip and a much higher current drain when not in
> use.
>
> The world of HTTP is a lot more than just Web browsers.

There was a time, long ago, when people were flabbergasted by the idea that
you'd use HTTP to control your lightbulb too.  "I have to put an HTTP stack
on a lightbulb?  I could just use UDP!"  I suggest we design for the
future, not the past.

> Mandating TLS in 2.0 will not provide an ounce of extra security
> unless you have a way to know who is running 2.0. And if you can do
> that you do not need the mandate.

It's all negotiated in the handshake.  You'll know who is TLS and who is
not.

It does provide lots of better security.  The internet cafe is the best
example.  I know you're aware of Firesheep.  We should make it impossible
to use firesheep in 2020.  Right?

Mike