Re: HTTP2 Expression of Interest

On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 7:35 PM, "Martin J. Dürst"
<duerst@it.aoyama.ac.jp>wrote:

> Hello Doug, everybody,
>

> On 2012/07/18 7:11, Doug Beaver wrote:
>
>     * Symmetric crypto costs are not much higher; I think Akamai quoted
>> 10-20%
>>      in their response. I think the costs aren't a big deal for major
>> sites;
>>

> Just a quick question: I think if we could shave off 10-20% of the
> bandwidth with some new technique, we'd all go for it.

Symmetric crypto (RC4) is super super cheap - a couple of XORs - definitely
not 10-20% of CPU.  I'd like to see that measured again before taking
action upon it.  Obviously, if you use expensive crypto (presumably because
you want it), some algorithms take more CPU

mike