Re[6]: HTTP2 Expression of Interest

------ Original Message ------
From: "Mike Belshe" mike@belshe.com

>On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 8:34 PM, Adrien W. de Croy <adrien@qbik.com> wrote:

> we can already transfer many objects over a single connection with
> HTTP/1.1

> SPDY without SSL would be more speedy than with it.

> There may be only a couple R-Ts to get an SSL handshake, but sprinkle
> on a CRL / OCSP check and you're left eating dust.

> So, let's just get this straight for the record.  SSL will not
> improve latency.  It will make it worse, and for many people (on
> already-high-latency links) a LOT worse.

 Of course, no-SSL is lower latency than SSL.  It's not 3 RTs all the
 time, but yes, OSCP can add a lot, and SSL implementations vary.  But
 SPDY gains a lot of this back with fewer connections, multiplexing,
 and compression.  Don't forget to implement SSL False Start in your
 client.  Obviously an un-optimized SSL stack will have a harder time
 than an optimized one.

 But its not true that every bit of latency is more important than
 security.
I'm just not convinced this would be a security win in the end.

How many CAs are there?  We may as well right now deprecate OCSP / CRL
checks, because you have 200 million sites using a cert from one
vendor, you take out their OCSP server(s), and you've taken down 200
million sites.

Way to go amplifying DOS effectiveness.
Becoming a CA is non-trivial.  If we suddenly need a million more of
them to cope with cert load, how do you anticipate that will improve
security?  I think it will make for a disaster.

>Note that Google has reported overall latency of SPDY + SSL is faster
>than HTTP without SSL or SPDY.
you saying SPDY + SSL faster than SPDY (presumably without SSL)?
Doesn't seem possible.

I have no problem accepting SPDY + SSL would be faster than HTTP.  But
we're talking about adding a bunch of things to HTTP that would provide
the same benefits that SPDY currently enjoys.