Re: HTTP/2 Expression of luke-warm interest: Varnish

From: Willy Tarreau <w@1wt.eu>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2012 00:04:05 +0200
To: Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>
Cc: Roberto Peon <grmocg@gmail.com>, HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>, Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>, Mike Belshe <mike@belshe.com>
On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 09:18:51PM +0000, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> In message <20120716204650.GI27010@1wt.eu>, Willy Tarreau writes:
>
> >I also remember that in private with a few of us you proposed a draft
> >that you never published. There were very valid concerns here. Why do
> >you not share it so that good ideas can be picked from it ?
>
> The main reason that it never made it to ID, is that there quite
> clearly is no room in the timeplan for the kind of fundamental
> contemplation I wanted to inspire, so it seemed a waste of both
> my own and everybody elses time.
>
> There's nothing secret about it, and I don't think there is anything
> in it which havn't already been mentioned in emails too:
>
>    http://phk.freebsd.dk/misc/draft-kamp-httpbis-http-20-architecture-01.txt

Thank you.

> Please disregard any strangeness in the boilerplate, I may not
> thrown all the right spells at xml2rfc, and also note that I have
> subsequently changed my mind on certain subjects, most notably
> Cookies which should simply be exterminated from HTTP/2.0, and
> replaced with a stable session/identity concept which does not make
> it possible or necessary for servers to store data on the clients.

It's normal to change one's mind. We're designing. I changed mine
several times on some subject and am not ashamed of this. You even
made me change my mind about some points on the encoding. That's fine.

That's a point where I agree with Mike when he constantly repeats
"show me the data". Of course producing data take a huge amount of
time but in the end we know why we want the things one way or another.

Regards,
Willy