Re: HTTP/2 Expression of luke-warm interest: Varnish

From: Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2012 21:18:51 +0000
To: Willy Tarreau <w@1wt.eu>
cc: Roberto Peon <grmocg@gmail.com>, HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>, Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>, Mike Belshe <mike@belshe.com>
In message <20120716204650.GI27010@1wt.eu>, Willy Tarreau writes:

>I also remember that in private with a few of us you proposed a draft
>that you never published. There were very valid concerns here. Why do
>you not share it so that good ideas can be picked from it ?

The main reason that it never made it to ID, is that there quite
clearly is no room in the timeplan for the kind of fundamental
contemplation I wanted to inspire, so it seemed a waste of both
my own and everybody elses time.

There's nothing secret about it, and I don't think there is anything
in it which havn't already been mentioned in emails too:

   http://phk.freebsd.dk/misc/draft-kamp-httpbis-http-20-architecture-01.txt

Please disregard any strangeness in the boilerplate, I may not
thrown all the right spells at xml2rfc, and also note that I have
subsequently changed my mind on certain subjects, most notably
Cookies which should simply be exterminated from HTTP/2.0, and
replaced with a stable session/identity concept which does not make
it possible or necessary for servers to store data on the clients.