Re: #241: clarify eval order/interaction of conditional headers

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2012 09:08:21 +0200
To: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>
On 2012-07-03 09:37, Mark Nottingham wrote:
> <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/httpbis/trac/ticket/241>
>
> Roy documented the evaluation order for conditional that Apache uses (which, he pointed out, is the only logical way to do it, once you look at it):
>
> <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/httpbis/trac/ticket/241#comment:4>

I'd like to avoid to include pseudo-code like that *unless* it's really
needed.

Do we really need to define the evaluation order? In what real-world
situations well there be more than one condition?

Wouldn't it be simpler to:

1) Formally define the condition expressed by each header field,

and

2) State that all conditions must be met, otherwise a 412 will be
returned (with the 304 variant special-cased).

Best regards, Julian