Re: #370: If-None-Match vs 412 vs ignoring the header field

On Tue, 10 Jul 2012, Julian Reschke wrote:

> From an off-list WGLC comment:
>
>>     3.2. If-None-Match
>>
>>         If the request would, without the If-None-Match header field,
>> result in anything other than a 2xx or 304 status code, then the If-None-
>>
>> Should this list also include 412 listed above in the same section?
>
> I believe this is correct, the list needs to include 412 as well; opened
> <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/httpbis/trac/ticket/370> to track this.

I don't think it is correct, the rationale seems to be the use of a strong
validator when a weak validator was possibly already applied (IMS)
resulting in a 200 or 304.
If the request, without the INM results in a 412, so an error,
transforming that in a 200 by virtue of the INM doesn't look correct.

> Proposed changed text:
>
>   If the request would, without the If-None-Match header field, result
>   in anything other than a 2xx (Successful), 304 (Not Modified), or 412
>   (Precondition Failed) status code, then the If-None-Match header
>   field MUST be ignored.  (See Section 2.4 for a discussion of server
>   behavior when both If-Modified-Since and If-None-Match appear in the
>   same request.)
>
> (<http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/httpbis/trac/attachment/ticket/370/370.diff>)
>
> Feedback appreciated,
>
> Julian