#370: If-None-Match vs 412 vs ignoring the header field

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2012 21:48:34 +0200
To: HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
 From an off-list WGLC comment:

>     3.2. If-None-Match
>
>         If the request would, without the If-None-Match header field, result in anything other than a 2xx or 304 status code, then the If-None-
>
> Should this list also include 412 listed above in the same section?

I believe this is correct, the list needs to include 412 as well; opened
<http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/httpbis/trac/ticket/370> to track this.

Proposed changed text:

    If the request would, without the If-None-Match header field, result
    in anything other than a 2xx (Successful), 304 (Not Modified), or 412
    (Precondition Failed) status code, then the If-None-Match header
    field MUST be ignored.  (See Section 2.4 for a discussion of server
    behavior when both If-Modified-Since and If-None-Match appear in the
    same request.)

(<http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/httpbis/trac/attachment/ticket/370/370.diff>)

Feedback appreciated,

Julian