Re: Using HTTP Trailers [was: Content-Integrity header]

On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 4:59 PM, Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net> wrote:
> chunk-extensions aren't widely supported in APIs, and usually dropped hop-by-hop (then again, trailers can be too).
>
> Some discussion of trailer support in Apache:
>   http://apache-http-server.18135.n6.nabble.com/HTTP-trailers-td4796242.html
>
> … and using Trailers to surface debug information in Firebug:
>   https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!topic/firebug/v5ldjoVThH8
>
> (yes, this is a bit of a project for me)
>
> Finally, I know some server-side implementers would would LOVE to be able to set things like ETag and Last-Modified in trailers, and have them used by caches...

The last time I looked at this issue, in the context of an optimizing
load balancer where we would have loved to set ETag in the trailers, I
found that browser support was almost nonexistent. Things haven't
improved much since then:
http://www.browserscope.org/?category=network

If there's widespread interest in trailer support, HTTP/2.0 seems like
a great opportunity to make it mandatory.

-Brian