Re: Adjusting our spec names

On 31/03/2012, at 1:17 PM, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

> Can I ask a really fundamental question:
>
> How long do we expect HTTP/2.0 to last ?
>
> It sounds a lot to me like people are busy trying to solve the last
> remaining problems with yesterdays HTTP/1.1, rather than trying to
> build a solid foundation for the next 10-ish years of HTTP.
>
> If you look at what various labs are churning out of wired/optical/wireless
> technologies, five years from now, we'll be talking a quite different
> environment than now, with respect to bandwidth, RTT and spikiness.
>
> 10 years from now, something big will happen, and the big news-sites
> will be expected to deliver 1Tbit/sec sustained while everybody and
> his goat follows the news in real time.  Ask cnn.com what 9/11 felt
> like, and move it up three orders of magnitude or more.
>
> None of the proposals we have seen so far is anywhere near being
> feasible in such a context.
>
> We simply have to do something about stuff like the convoluted and
> expensive generation and parsing of Date: headers.

PHK -

Great. A specific problem is best; general hand-wringing about "how long will this last" is less useful.

We can discuss the problem of date generation/parsing. In a 2.0-only chain, it would indeed be nice if we could dispense with this altogether (e.g., with a separate set of headers to replace date/last-modified/expires that get transformed to them on a 1.x hop only). Let's discuss that.

Cheers,

--
Mark Nottingham
http://www.mnot.net/