Re: Adjusting our spec names

From: Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2012 11:17:21 +0000
To: Willy Tarreau <w@1wt.eu>
cc: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>, "<ietf-http-wg@w3.org> Group" <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>

Can I ask a really fundamental question:

How long do we expect HTTP/2.0 to last ?

It sounds a lot to me like people are busy trying to solve the last
remaining problems with yesterdays HTTP/1.1, rather than trying to
build a solid foundation for the next 10-ish years of HTTP.

If you look at what various labs are churning out of wired/optical/wireless
technologies, five years from now, we'll be talking a quite different
environment than now, with respect to bandwidth, RTT and spikiness.

10 years from now, something big will happen, and the big news-sites
will be expected to deliver 1Tbit/sec sustained while everybody and
his goat follows the news in real time.  Ask cnn.com what 9/11 felt
like, and move it up three orders of magnitude or more.

None of the proposals we have seen so far is anywhere near being
feasible in such a context.

We simply have to do something about stuff like the convoluted and
expensive generation and parsing of Date: headers.