Re: fyi: An Experimental Study of Web Transport Protocols in Cellular Networks

From: Martin Thomson <martin.thomson@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2012 10:03:03 +0200
To: Ted Hardie <ted.ietf@gmail.com>
Cc: Tobias Oberstein <tobias.oberstein@tavendo.de>, "ietf-http-wg@w3.org" <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>, "Markus.Isomaki@nokia.com" <Markus.Isomaki@nokia.com>, "g_e_montenegro@yahoo.com" <g_e_montenegro@yahoo.com>, "mike@belshe.com" <mike@belshe.com>
On 30 March 2012 09:19, Ted Hardie <ted.ietf@gmail.com> wrote:
> While the battery life issue is certainly a very important one, it's
> important to recognize that the other resource being managed here is
> the carrier's radio resources.  If you keep the device on in an active
> state to avoid the latency associated with dormant states, you are
> consuming resources that have a real impact in crowded networks.

Since I pay so much for this, it's almost the case that I'm somewhat
more comfortable with this idea, but...

This is a case where what an endpoint does can have a real impact on
the rest of the world.  Self-interested parties could get much greater
individual performance for things like file transfers by ignoring
things like TCP congestion control, but ultimately that leads to a
mutually destructive arms race.

Thanks for the reminder Ted.