Re: fyi: An Experimental Study of Web Transport Protocols in Cellular Networks

On 30 March 2012 09:19, Ted Hardie <ted.ietf@gmail.com> wrote:
> While the battery life issue is certainly a very important one, it's
> important to recognize that the other resource being managed here is
> the carrier's radio resources.  If you keep the device on in an active
> state to avoid the latency associated with dormant states, you are
> consuming resources that have a real impact in crowded networks.

Since I pay so much for this, it's almost the case that I'm somewhat
more comfortable with this idea, but...

This is a case where what an endpoint does can have a real impact on
the rest of the world.  Self-interested parties could get much greater
individual performance for things like file transfers by ignoring
things like TCP congestion control, but ultimately that leads to a
mutually destructive arms race.

Thanks for the reminder Ted.