Re: fyi: An Experimental Study of Web Transport Protocols in Cellular Networks

On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 6:15 PM, Tobias Oberstein
<tobias.oberstein@tavendo.de> wrote:
> Of course, this "rapid heatbeat" to achive low "first click latency" is somewhat
> ridiculous: it is wasting resources (I don't care about data volume .. 4kb/s is
> insignificant given the volume pack I am on).
>
> But the study seems to suggest that the radio state transition timeouts are
> defined by the carrier network, right? So there is no chance of having the
> mobile device, let alone an app, control state transitions?
>
> The optimal user experience would IMHO be: a "keep snappy" button
> in status bar drop down on mobile .. can turn on/off.
>
> When "keep snappy" = ON, the device will just stay in state DCH _all the time_.
> Done. Let the user trade off "snappy" vs "power drain".

While the battery life issue is certainly a very important one, it's
important to recognize that the other resource being managed here is
the carrier's radio resources.  If you keep the device on in an active
state to avoid the latency associated with dormant states, you are
consuming resources that have a real impact in crowded networks.    I
apologize for giving you a reference in flash slides, but you may want
to check out:

http://www.slideshare.net/zahidtg/gsma-fast-dormancy-best-practices

for a bit more background.

regards,