Re: SPDY = HTTP/2.0 or not ?

From: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2012 15:02:31 +0200
Cc: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>, Barry Leiba <barryleiba@computer.org>, HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
To: Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>

On 25/03/2012, at 2:39 PM, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

> In message <4F6F0DE9.9080307@gmx.de>, Julian Reschke writes:
>> On 2012-03-25 14:14, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
>
>>> But this semantic outrage does not answer my very simple
>>> question: Will HTTP/2.0 support only one or will it support
>>> multiple protocols ?
>>
>> I believe the answer is: we don't know yet.
>
> So shouldn't we find out, so that people know what they are
> aiming for with their I-D's ?

If you have requirements and arguments to back them up, please put them into a form that's helpful (e.g., an I-D, or just more detail on-list if need be). The point of the process is to have this discussion, not to "gold-plate" anything.

> I personally have a hard time seeing how we can ever bend the world
> to come to a conclusion that HTTP/2.0 will be single-protocol, given
> the HTTP/1.1 interop issue, but I am willing to be educated, if
> somebody has good arguments for that position.

What do you want from "multi-protocol" -- is it "protocol independence"? I.e., the ability to swap one for the other without anyone noticing?

Cheers,

--
Mark Nottingham
http://www.mnot.net/