Re: Idempotent partial updates

On 01/03/2012, at 9:34 AM, Adrien de Croy wrote:

> Last time I sampled Cache-control response headers (over couple million hits crawling sites), I found a large majority use it to prevent caching.  Very few to enable it.  It's a shame.
>
> so moving from a naive HTTP/1.0 style cache to a compliant HTTP/1.1 style cache actually resulted in a huge reduction in cache utility.  Without ignoring cache-control directives as you say, it's hard to get more than a 10% effective bandwidth benefit from caching, which frankly is not worth the pain.

Not sure what you're crawling, but my experience is that effective bandwidth savings is MUCH higher, even on a conservatively configured cache.

And anecdotal evidence suggests it's getting better; see:

http://httparchive.org/trends.php (~45% of responses have caching headers)
http://httparchive.org/interesting.php  (~40% of responses with CC have a max-age > 0)

… and if you restrict to the top 1000 sites, both numbers are higher, about 60% each. Combined with heuristic freshness, what's the problem?

Cheers,

--
Mark Nottingham
http://www.mnot.net/