Re: Whitespace before responses

From: Willy Tarreau <w@1wt.eu>
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2012 08:01:25 +0100
To: Amos Jeffries <squid3@treenet.co.nz>
Cc: ietf-http-wg@w3.org
Hi Amos,

On Thu, Feb 09, 2012 at 05:33:57PM +1300, Amos Jeffries wrote:
> Willy, the rest of the thread is about *request* not response.

No, look at the subject :-) The initial text covered only requests
and Mark asked if we should cover responses too.

> Squid has
> not accepted response whitespace prefixes in a very long time and bug
> reports about that are very rare.

Excellent ! In my opinion, Squid certainly qualifies as a reference for
something widely used. So if you don't have the issue, I think it means
the issue does not really exist, so we don't need to skip any CRLF before
a response.

> Squid does skip whitespace at the beginning of the request and in my
> recent experience it seems to be an active problem with scripts and
> certain poular PDF readers.

Same here. I've recently received a trace of a request emitted by a browser
announcing webkit in its UA, I believe it was Safari, where a POST request was
sent, then a few tens of milliseconds later, a CRLF was sent in a lone packet
while it was not part of the message-body. So I can confirm this is observed
from time to time. I'll see if I can find the capture so that we get the exact
UA, maybe it was old and has been fixed since.

Regards,
Willy