Re: Informal Last Call for HTTP Preference Header

From: Cyrus Daboo <cyrus@daboo.name>
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2012 15:58:11 -0800
To: James Snell <jasnell@gmail.com>, ietf-http-wg@w3.org
Hi James,

--On January 31, 2012 1:28:17 PM -0800 James Snell <jasnell@gmail.com>
wrote:

> I just posted an update for the HTTP Prefer Header altering the
> intended status from "Informational" to "Standards Track". No
> additional changes were made. As I have not received any further
> technical input on the specification, I am issuing an *Informal* Last
> Call for comments before I request that it be kicked up the chain for
> review.
>
> Mark Nottingham has agreed to serve as the document shepherd for
> helping to move it forward.
>
> Current Draft: http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-snell-http-prefer-11.txt

Can you clarify the meaning of an ETag header returned in the response to a
PUT with a Prefer:return-representation header. Would that ETag refer to
the resource whose representation is being returned? If so, could we please
include ETag in the example. If not, then we really need a way to get the
actual ETag for the returned representation - otherwise
Prefer:return-representation is not that useful.

--
Cyrus Daboo