Re: HTTbis spec size, was: Rechartering HTTPbis

In message <4F23CF65.6030605@gmx.de>, Julian Reschke writes:

>I do agree that whatever is done better get the layering right. My
>conclusion although is different: calling something HTTP/2.0 which
>doesn't roughly address the same use cases would be totally confusing.

As "totally confusing" as HTTP/1.1(bis) ?  :-)

I don't think we have a choice in practice.

Either we chop this monster into bites we can understand or chew,
or we're wasting our time on a long interminable death-march towards
IPv6 adoption.

In terms of practical standards documents, a HTTP/2.0 RFC could
have a section which simply point back into HTTP/1.1bis and say
"Use these bits to interpret and understand the content+metadata
parts".  If/when later, the content+metadata part gets cleaned up
in dedicated RFCs, those RFC's will refer directly to the HTTP/2.0
RFC, less that section.