Re: Rechartering HTTPbis

From: Willy Tarreau <w@1wt.eu>
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2012 07:17:17 +0100
To: Adrien de Croy <adrien@qbik.com>
Cc: Amos Jeffries <squid3@treenet.co.nz>, ietf-http-wg@w3.org
On Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 02:43:47PM +1300, Adrien de Croy wrote:

> actually this raises the issue of aborting transfers.
>
> Currently to abort a chunked transfer, you must close the connection.
> (and this triggers all sorts of nasty buggy behaviour in browsers - most
> of which don't complain).

They should, because the transfer is obviously incomplete if the last
empty chunk has not been seen.

> It would be nice if the chunk header could signal an abort.

It's already possible, we can add attributes on chunk sizes. We could
already have something like this to abort the transfer :

     0;reason=abort\r\n

Anyway I'm not convinced by the usefulness of being able to report
this chunk by chunk, because most common aborts are due to network
timeouts and process crashes, which may happen anywhere, not just
on a chunk border. That's why closing the connection covers all
cases in a non-ambiguous way.

Regards,
Willy