Re: Rechartering HTTPbis

In message <4F2023BD.8040408@treenet.co.nz>, Amos Jeffries writes:

>The main point was to embed length details for the headers early, rather
>than semantics.

I'll agree to that.

* Content metadata firmly removed from transport metadata.

* Length of metadata sections part of initial fixed-length header.

* Option for specifying preliminary metadata in front of content and
  update it to final values after content.  This allows a server to
  Say this looks like "200=OK, 1Mbyte long, text/html, but hold on..."
  then send the object and update with "I was wrong, it was only 800k.",
  "Ohh, and btw, it expires in 4 seconds", "my disk failed, sorry: 206".

And to that you can add gzipping the entire connection, headers included
(jpegs can be zip'ed at level zero to not waste time).

And obviously, a sensible handling of crypto, that allows tunneling
through gateways, load-balancers etc, unto final decrypting host.

... and so on.

But rather that sit and design it here, lets do a call for proposals
and see who can come up with the best and simplest ideas.